All Professional Bodies, National Associations (e.g. Mental Health, School, Guidance, Addiction, Faith-based etc.) and Accrediting Organisations.
Christian Health Association of Lesotho
- Website: http://www.chal.org.ls/index.html
- Organisation Size: Voluntary organisation of six member churches; Anglican Church in Lesotho, Assemblies of God, Church of the Bible Covenant, Lesotho Evangelical Church in Southern Africa, Roman Catholic Church, Seventh Day Adventist Church of Southern Africa.
Universities and Other Education and Training Institutes
Counselling Agencies, Services, Group Practices, Counselling Centres
Background & Context
Currently there is no available information on background of counselling in Lesotho.
Current Regulatory Status / Level of Recognition:
There is no available information about current regulatory status of counselling in Lesotho.
- The WHO, a specialized UN agency plays a key role in directing, coordinating, and supporting a wide spectrum of health related activities in Lesotho.These include the strengthening of health planning and management, development of human resources, programmes such as AIDS control, mental health, school sanitation, disaster preparedness, community participation and family health, including safe motherhood. Numerous other agencies and international organizations have supplied assistants and made funding contributions, while private and public organizations are also largely responsible for health services in Lesotho. In particular, nine of the 18 HSA hospitals are owned and run by churches linked through the Christian Association of Lesotho.
- External organizations
Challenges & Trends
- Not enough resources
- Infectious diseases such as HIV and TB, and their treatments, are significantly affected by mental health, and mental illness.
Additional Information & References
For more information about the counselling profession in the state, interested readers are encouraged to read the following journal and website articles:
- Treating Mind and Body: Mental Health Care Expanding in Lesotho. (2018, July 24).
- Partners in Health. https://www.pih.org/article/treating-mind-and-body-mental-health-care-expanding-lesotho