All Professional Bodies, National Associations (e.g. Mental Health, School, Guidance, Addiction, Faith-based etc.) and Accrediting Organisations.
Universities and Other Education and Training Institutes
University of Malawi, Chancellor College
- University Website: https://www.cc.ac.mw
- Programme Website:
- Programme Types: Bachelor of Social Science in Social Work, Bachelor of Social Science, Master of Education in Educational Psychology
Saint John of God University
- Website: https://sjog.mw
- Programme Website:
- Programme Name: Counselling, Health Science
- Programme Types: Diploma in Counselling, Bachelor of Science Degree in Mental Health and Psychiatric Nursing
The Catholic University of Malawi
- University Website: https://www.cunima.ac.mw/index.php?id=939f5521b4b1821dbc83f0088160d84e
- Programme Website: https://www.cunima.ac.mw/index.php?id=939f5521b4b1821dbc83f0088160d84e
- Programme Name: Faculty of Social Science
- Programme Types: NOT STATED but offering Community Development, Social Work
Note*: Faculty provides student counselling and consultancies’
African University Diplomacy, Counselling and International Relations
- Website: https://www.facebook.com/audcir/ @audcir (Facebook)
- Programme Types: Diploma in Guidance and Counselling, Bachelor of Arts in Guidance and Counselling, Master of Arts in Guidance and Counselling
Counselling Agencies, Services, Group Practices, Counselling Centres
Emotional Wellness and Therapies Centre
- Website: @blantyretherapies (search on Facebook)
Background & Context
It is believed that counselling in Malawi came together with the pandemic of HIV diseases. In the year of 1985, the Health Ministry of Malawi enhanced by placing a HIV Testing and counselling called HTC. The HTC counsellors were trained for at least 3-5 weeks .
Current Regulatory Status / Level of Recognition:
The Malawi Association of Counsellors (MAC) was first founded in 1999 and then registered during the year of 2002 as the Registered Trustees of (MAC). Their main vision is to provide counselling to all those in need in Malawi and beyond by qualified counsellors. It is to ensure the development of professional counsellors, providing the quality of counselling services for emotional healing, psychosocial growth, and the well-being of people.
However counselling services were poorly coordinated by the members from the association itself and needed more attention for the people who are facing major problems in the urban and rural area.
In 2014, counselling training started to have some improvement that would like to offer some changes. Therefore, professional counsellors came together, decided to revive MAC to deal with the challenges that professional counselling is facing and the need to help their society.
There are few practise settings which are available in the association itself where they mentioned on the website as “find counsellors” to make an appointment and social media platform such as Facebook to contact for more details about the session.
Challenges & Trends
- There has been a huge lack of networking among institutions offering counselling training and services.
- The awareness of counselling is not spread throughout the region.
- Number of high HIV cases.
- No proper registration, certificate and licensing of counsellors.
- Quality counselling services is compromised putting clients at risks.
Additional Information & References
For a deeper exploration of the counselling profession in the country, interested readers are recommended to read the following journal articles:
Lilford, P. (2019). Mental health in Malawi. BJPsych International, 17(2), 32-33. doi:10.1192/bji.2019.28 https://www.iac-irtac.org/sites/default/files/Dominic%20Presentation%20IAC%20Argentina.pdf