All Professional Bodies, National Associations (e.g. Mental Health, School, Guidance, Addiction, Faith-based etc.) and Accrediting Organisations.
Universities and Other Education and Training Institutes
L’Unité de Formation et d’Éducation Permanente (UFEP)
- Programme Type: Systemic Counselling with Individuals and Families
Counselling Agencies, Services, Group Practices, Counselling Centres
Background & Context
No information was found on the historical development of counselling or psychotherapy in Luxembourg.
Current Regulatory Status / Level of Recognition:
A person who has at least a master’s degree in psychology can call himself a psychologist and work in the field of counselling, coaching, training, and/or diagnostics (cf. Association Luxembourgeoise de Étudiants en Psychologie 2020). Whether there are prerequisites for other counselling activities, apart from psychological counselling, was not clear from the literature. In order to practice as a psychotherapist, a degree in psychology or psychiatry is required, as well as additional training. This usually takes 3 to 4 years and is completed part-time. The profession of psychotherapist has only been protected by law since 2015 (see Association Luxembourgeoise de Étudiants en Psychologie 2020).
- Consulting is mainly applied in the following areas:
- in personality and structural development
- in educational, life, marriage, partnership and sexual counselling
- in school or vocational promotion/orientation
- in adult education
- in vocational and social rehabilitation (BVPPT 2020)
- With a holistic view of the human being, counselling serves in:
- the prophylaxis
- the maintenance of health
- analysis and change of personal life plans and goals
- crisis management (BVPPT 2020)
Personal, social, professional and socio-political requirements change throughout life. They are increasingly accompanied by stress symptoms that cause illness. On the one hand, counselling has a preventive effect in these cases. On the other hand, counselling offers assistance when people want to bring about processes of change in terms of behavior or attitudes (cf. BVPPT 2020).
Challenges & Trends
Suitable literature on the topic of challenges and trends in the consulting profession was not found.
Additional Information & References
For a more in-depth examination of the counselling profession in Luxembourg, interested readers are advised to read the following articles as well as books:
- Association Luxembourgeoise de Étudiants en Psychologie (2020). Abgerufen von https://alep.lu/student-area/qa-psychotherapie-zu-letzebuerg/qa-psychotherapie-zu-letzebuerg-de/
- BVPPT Berufsverband für Beratung, Pädagogik und Psychotherapie (2020). Abgerufen von https://bvppt.org/counseling.html